- Flight numbers and times
- Phone numbers of travel agents, rental car companies airlines, and hotels
- Addresses of hotels and any place you plan to visit
- When out of the country, the address and phone number of your country’s embassy
My friend Tom writes the times and numbers of his flights and hotels on an index card he keeps in the breast pocket of his blazer. Some people like to keep travel docs in a clear plastic folder. There’s no great mystery here: Having all of this information written down will save you from wondering where you’re supposed to be and how you’re getting there, even if your phone runs out of battery.
Packing is an essential part of traveling, but it doesn’t have to be difficult:
- Make a list before you begin, even just a general outline of what you’ll need.
- Roll up your clothes to fit more into your suitcase.
- Bring extra plastic bags and be amazed at how often they come in handy (think: leaky shampoo bottles, snacks, wet clothes, laundry).
- When in doubt, choose a rolling suitcase over a shoulder bag to save yourself from back pain.
- Pare down on heavy shoes and choose only a few pairs that can multitask.
- Always pack clothing that can be layered between indoor and outdoor venues.
- Bring clothes in complementary colors that can be used in a variety of outfits.
Organize Your Home While You Travel
ULTRA F/Getty Images
If you’re off for the holidays and plan to travel, think about some of the home organization tasks you can accomplish while you’re out of town.
- Before you leave, drop your shoes off at the cobbler to have them weather-proofed, re-soled, or polished.
- Drop your knives off to be sharpened. They should be sharpened by a pro twice a year.
- Have your window treatments professionally cleaned. If you’re worried about people being able to see into your home while you’re away, stick to the treatments hanging in the top floors only.
- Drop off any heavy use items at the dry cleaner for a good cleaning, like a winter coat you’re not bringing on your trip or your comforter.